My daughter has a birthday right after Christmas so we wanted a cake that is not too sweet and this fresh lemon cake is perfect. She is not a traditional cake girl but does love things that are sour and tart so I thought a fresh lemon cake would be perfect. It is a moist from scratch cake that everyone loves. She gave me the okay, so here is the cake I made for her 17th birthday.
Fresh Lemon Cake
Yield: 12-16 slices
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3 tbs lemon zest
- 4-5 tbs lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 sticks unsalted butter cubed
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbs granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Grease and flour very generously a bundt pan.
- Lightly whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside. In your mixing bowl, beat the four eggs until nice and thick and creamy. Using low on your mixer slowly add sugar and then turn up mixer and beat until nice and fluffy. Add the vanilla, almond extract and add 2 tablespoons of your lemon zest and 2 tablespoons of your lemon juice. Mix thoroughly. Now slowly add the dry ingredients mixing until well blended.
- Take a saucepan and heat milk until hot but not boiling. At the last minute add the butter just until melted stirring well. Mix the hot ingredients with the batter in the mixing bowl and stir till smooth. Do not worry if it seems runny. That is the correct consistency.
- Pour batter into the bundt pan and bake 30-35 minutes checking to see when a toothpick comes with a few moist crumbles on the stick.
- When cake is done allow to cool on a rack in the pan about 5-10 minutes. Then take a knife loosening cake from the sides and tapping it against the counter to loosen. Flip out onto your cake plate or stand and let fully cool.
- When the cake is fully cool, whisk together the powdered sugar and remaining lemon juice to get the glaze to the consistency where it will run down the side but thick enough to adhere nicely to the cake. Add more sugar or juice as needed to get a thick glaze. Pour over top of cake.
- Next whisk together the granulated sugar and remaining lemon zest and sprinkle around the top of the cake for a beautiful finish.
- Store leftovers (if you have any) covered in the refrigerator.