With a large family, I do a lot of laundry, I mean a LOT OF LAUNDRY. Saving money doing laundry is important and a skill I have worked at over the years. I am happy to share my money saving laundry tips.
From the cost of laundry detergent to the rising costs of utilities used to wash our laundry, it can be costly to keep our clothes clean. I will break down my steps to save money while I wash our clothes.
Saving Money Doing Laundry
Save on detergent:
1. Make your own laundry soap. Low cost, easy and easier on sensitive skin.
2. Use less. You can use about half and your clothes will come clean. Unless a load is really soiled, try using as little as you can to get your clothes clean. Think about it. According to the laundry container of course you have to use a certain amount so you have to buy more.
3. If you love your current store bought detergent learn how to stretch your laundry detergent by adding to it.
Save on water:
1. Wash in cold water if you can and your load is not that dirty.
2. Adjust the height of the water level to fit your load.
3. Wear your clothes more than once to wash less. Use your towels more than once.
Save on drying clothes:
1. If you need to use a dryer sheet, tear it in half.
2. Run the dryer only as long as it takes to get the clothes dry and throw your next load in right away while the dryer is still warm.
3. Hang dry your clothes or at least the really heavy items.
Some more of my laundry tips: