Moist banana cake with cream cheese frostingPrep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (about 3) mashed ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Have eggs at room temperature for half hour. Grease and lightly flour 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add bananas, buttermilk, shortening and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till combined well. Add eggs on medium speed for two minutes. Pour batter into pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Cool cake thoroughly before you frost.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 - 8 ounce package of softened cream cheese
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons good quality vanilla
- 5 1/2 - 6 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- Beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla with mixer until light and fluffy. A little at a time add two cups of the powdered sugar, beating well. Slowly add remaining powdered sugar and beat until it is at spreading consistency. This frosts tops and sides of two 8-9 inch layers so halve for the top of a 13x9x2 inch cake.