As fall approaches, I like to start deep cleaning the house for the holidays before decor comes out. It's no fun decorating a dirty house and by Christmas you will be so happy that your house is clean for company. I will share what I do in each room and you can use it as a checklist or guide for your home customizing for your rooms. Maybe this will inspire you to spend a little extra time getting the house shiny and bright before we get all those holiday plans going.
Cleaning the Living Room for the Holidays
My first room I started with was the Front Room/Piano Room: (I clean in small spurts each day I have a chance. I think I have cleaning ADD. This keeps me on track but does not overwhelm me)
Start by clearing the room you are on of any items that do not belong in there.
- I use a long handled Swiffer duster to go around walls and dust any cobwebs and swipe over crown molding
- Dust and wipe down ceiling fan light fixture
- Wipe all doorways down and dust the top of door jams
- Wipe down any doors in the room
- Dust top of furniture
- Dust and clean shutters
- Clean window and sill
- Move all furniture away from walls and clean behind and underneath
- Wipe baseboards as I go around the room
- Clean wood floors in area I am cleaning that day
- As I move a piece of furniture to clean behind that day I wipe it down and dust all nick knacks on it.
- Clean pictures and shelves on wall dusting as needed
- Flip area rug over and vacuum the wood floor underneath and then vacuum the underside of the rug.
**You could also touch up any chipped paint or marks on the wall. I love the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers for this job.
Next, onto the dining room. See you there.