Making soup from leftovers is one of my favorite frugal meals and tonight we made really easy creamy chicken and rice soup. You never quite know what you will get but I usually go with what the majority of leftovers are.
I keep a container in the freezer with leftovers from dinner that I can use as a base for a pot of frugal cheap soup for dinner. Today it was a majority of chicken, rice, corn and peas so a soup that reminds me of chicken pot pie was in order.
Creamy Chicken And Rice Soup
This recipe is my best guess at what you would need given I usually make it from leftovers. Add or subtract liquid as needed based on the amount of leftovers you have. This makes a large pot of soup and I freeze the leftovers for another meal or lunches.Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 box or 2 cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1 can low sodium cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- 2 diced carrots
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/2 cup frozen peas frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Any extra leftover vegetables
- leftover shredded chicken
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- to taste extra chicken bullion (optional)
- One to two cups water
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Saute onion in a tablespoon or so of oil. Add chicken stock, cream of chicken soup with one can of water and one cup of water to pan. Heat to bubbly then add frozen or leftover vegetables and shredded chicken. If you are using any raw vegetables you will need to simmer those until tender before this step.
- Add seasoning and taste. Add extra chicken bullion if you need more flavor. Add also another cup or so of water if you do not have enough liquid. Add cornstarch dissolved in a bit of water and let thicken. Add rice and heat through.